A woman got on a bus holding a baby. The bus driver said, “That’s the ugliest baby I’ve ever seen.”
In a huff, the woman grumbling, frowning and mumbling angrily took an aisle seat near the rear of the bus. The man seated next to her sensed that she was agitated and asked her what was wrong.
“The bus driver insulted me.” She fumed.
The man sympathized and said: “Why, he’s a public servant and shouldn’t say things to insult passengers.”
“You’re right.” She said. “I think I’ll go back up there and give him a piece of my mind.”
“That’s a good idea,” the man said. “Here, let me hold your monkey.”
You can’t help it but there are just so many negative people around these days.
This is why we need daily inspiration to help us along the way.
How many among you are given a daily dose of inspirational quotes through text messages from your well meaning friends? I am one of them and don’t get me wrong… I love receiving them and have in fact used some of them in my talks and writings.
But have you ever heard of a list called “Ineffective Daily Affirmations?”
Yes. There is such a thing and it is probably sent by people who are negative and bitter.
This list is credited to anonymity but here is how it goes:
- I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring levels of suspicion and paranoia.
- I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that are someone else’s fault.
- I no longer need to punish, deceive or compromise myself. Unless, of course, I want to stay employed.
- I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no personality at all.
- I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious, self-righteous people around me.
- I need not suffer in silence while I can still moan, whimper and complain.
- The first step is to say nice things about myself. The second, to do nice things for myself. The third, to find someone to buy me nice things.
- All of me is beautiful and valuable, even the ugly, stupid, and disgusting parts.
- Only a lack of imagination saves me from immobilizing myself with imaginary fears.
10. Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than “I told you so.”
11. A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem.
12. Just for today, I will not sit in my living room all day watching TV. Instead I will move my TV into the bedroom.
13. I will find humor in my everyday life by looking for people I can laugh at.
14. I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else is willing to learn from them.
And while I was laughing at these preposterous statements I am reminded that there are indeed people who carry the same kind of mindset. They move from place to place carrying their negativity with them and the only time they feel fulfilled is when they have made others feel empty.
Some people brighten up the room by leaving it. I am sure you’ve met them as I certainly have. These people are vampires and blood suckers. They suck the optimism away from you. They are miserable and they want the whole world to be like them because misery loves company. Their joy is to put down people and make others look ugly so they can appear smart and beautiful but how wrong they really are. What they fail to understand is that over time they self-destruct. They rob themselves of opportunities because people stay away from them.
I have met people like these. They badmouth, they backbite, they backstab, they will shoot you at the back and they get a sinister delight in doing this. I guess their favorite part of the human anatomy is the back because they never had the guts and courage to face people in the front.
Here is the lesson. Never allow people like these to pull you down.
The world is a beautiful place. And we don’t have time to spend on ugly people.
Now here is the deal. I’ve lived in this decaying planet long enough to understand that deep within the soul of these negative people lie a deep sense of insecurity. They are always threatened by someone or something. And we cannot do anything about it. It’s their own personal battles they face everyday.
Pray for them. Not that they be struck by lighting but that they may come to repentance.
Meanwhile, enjoy life and be an encouragement and inspiration to those around you.