This is the age of fast foods and whether you care to admit it or not, your life and mine has been radically changed by the emergence of fast food restaurants in our society. To fit our rush-rush life-style, fast food provides the best value for money at the quickest service time and this has also changed our level of patience as far as customer service is concerned.
I may be treading on thin ice here but I suspect that the prime reason why many young women today do not know how to cook is because they are now totally reliant on fast food for their survival. Who can blame them anyway when today’s society is always on a hurry?
A teacher in grade school in America asked her students this question: “What are the 4 food groups?”
One cute little girl said, “MacDonald’s, Wendy’s, Burger King and KFC!” to the surprise of the teacher.
I came across an article in the Internet that talks about the 5th food group.
Guess what it is? It’s my favorite: Chocolate.
The article explains it this way.
Chocolate is the 5th food group:
- Chocolate is a vegetable: Chocolate is derived from cocoa beans. Beans = vegetable.
- Sugar is derived from either sugar CANE or sugar BEETS. Both are plants, which place them in the vegetable category. Thus, chocolate is a vegetable.
- To go one step further, chocolate candy bars also contain milk, which is dairy. So candy bars are a health food.
- Chocolate covered raisins, cherries, orange slices and strawberries all count as fruit, so eat as many as you want.
Now here are some practical advices on how to deal with this particular food group called the chocolate.
- If you’ve got melted chocolate all over your hands, you’re eating it too slowly.
- The problem: how to get 2 pounds of chocolate home from the store in a hot car. The solution: eat it in the parking lot.
- Diet tip: eat a chocolate bar before each meal. It’ll take the edge off your appetite, and you’ll eat less.
- If I eat equal amounts of dark chocolate and white chocolate, is that a balanced diet? Don’t they actually counteract each other?
- Chocolate has many preservatives. Preservatives make you look younger.
- Put “eat chocolate” at the top of your list of things to do today. That way, at least you’ll get one thing done.
- A nice box of chocolates can provide your total daily intake of calories in one place. Now, isn’t that handy?
- If not for chocolate, there would be no need for control top pantyhose. An entire garment industry would be devastated. You can’t let that happen, can you?
Now in case you don’t know…you’re not supposed to take these things seriously.
I love chocolate but I am amazed at its effect. How could a bar of chocolate add 2 to 5 pounds in my body always never ceases to amaze me?
Do you know that chocolate is a test of one person’s strength and discipline? How? Break the bar in 2. Eat only one half without eating the other half. Now if you can do that then you can be certain that you are a disciplined person.
Now kidding aside, you need more than having the ability to refuse to eat chocolate to be strong. You need to be able to stand up against sin and temptation and live your Christian life faithfully to have the mark of a truly strong person.
I love chocolate but I take them with extreme moderation. Because I know it translates to a longer running time on the treadmill for me the next morning.
We cannot just enjoy pleasure without paying the cost for it.
All pleasure comes with a price. And only the worship of the Living Christ gives us pleasure with genuine joy and fulfillment all the way.